Wondering if your GoPro can be used as a webcam? Yes he can! While GoPro isn’t designed for this purpose, if you can’t wait to give it a try, here’s how. Below are the gears you’ll need, settings, and tips on how to do them effectively.
A Complete Guide to Using GoPro as a Webcam
Here are some of the tools you will need to set up your GoPro as a webcam. Before we delve deeper into how you can set up your GoPro as a webcam, it is essential to have the various equipment with you.
It would help if you had specific HDMI cables and Micro HDMI cables. The purpose of these cables is to connect the Cam Link dongle to your camera.
Cam Link 4K (Elgato)
A small USB dongle connects your MAC or PC to the GoPro, camcorders, and DSLR.
A GoPro camera
You can choose Hero4 (available in silver or black) or Hero7 Black. For this system to work, you need a micro HDMI output jack for your GoPro.
It would help if you had a small tripod. Many tripods should work, but you need something stable enough to keep your setup at the right angles.
It would be better if you kept your camera powered. Otherwise, the battery will discharge in an hour or less. In addition, you will use this cable to transfer your images and recharge your battery in the camera.
GoPro Streaming Software
Getting your GoPro power supply to work properly in your laptop shouldn’t take a long time. Here is what you need.
This is open source software that helps you connect your computer to your camera. You need to download the OBS if you haven’t installed it.
Here’s how to set up your GoPro webcam
Insert your Cam Link into the USB port
Connect your GoPro with a micro HDMI cable. Connect the free end of the HDMI cable to the Cam Link Dongle. Now connect your camera to your computer through the USB port. Turn on your GoPro.
Open the webcam software, maybe your OBS or Skype, and select GoPro as the default source. It should display the name of the Cam Link dongle you are using. If you are using Skye, go to settings, Audio and video, then Camera.
Set for streaming. In your camera menu, go to preference, then input or output finally to HDMI output. Select “Live” as this allows you to continue broadcasting the signal from the camera. Some people say it also helps prevent your camera from going to sleep mode. Your GoPro is now ready to be used as a webcam. You can now test your webcam performance at devicetests.com to verify that your connection has been successful and that your webcam is broadcasting to your friends on the other side of the globe.
GoPro models that will not function as webcams
Ideally, any GoPro model that doesn’t have an HDMI output serves as your webcam.
Some of these incompatible models include, but are not limited to:
• Any GoPro Session camera such as Hero4 Session, Hero5 Session and Session. Indeed, all these models do not include HDMI outputs.
• Unnumbered Hero cameras. For example, Hero 2014, Hero +, and Hero + LCD. Likewise, these low-end cameras do not include HDMI outputs.
• All 360 degree cameras. For example, the MAX 360 and Fusion. This is because 360 degree cameras do not include HDMI outputs. Either way, if they had the HDMI output, they would make the best webcam ever.
• Hero8 Black is only compatible with GoPro when installed with a Media Mod.
• The Hero7 is white and silver. These new cameral versions also do not include an HDRM port. Simply put, they won’t work like a webcam.
Which GoPro models are compatible with your webcams?
As mentioned above, any GoPro model equipped with a micro HDMI output can serve as a webcam. There are several models available today, but the most popular is the Hero Black numbered model. These models include Hero4 Black, Hero5 Black, Hero6 Black, and Hero7 Black. NB, Hero8 Black does not include a micro HDMI port, and that is why it is not included in this listing.
What are the advantages of using GoPro as a webcam?
You will get high quality picture quality. Certainly, GoPro has a higher quality image sensor than your webcam. In addition, GoPro also transfers videos via HDMI at 1080p just like the regular webcam.
You don’t need to buy a webcam when using a GoPro.
Compatible software for GoPro streaming
You can create your GoPro stream right on your PC without taking a lot of time. Here are the two important software that you will need for GoPro streaming in your system:
• Elgato Cam Link: Your system will automatically determine hardware changes and install software to operate the dongle. You can download elgato cam Link from here.
• Stream labs: your camera can be connected to your computer with this open source software available for free on the internet.
You can also watch videos on YouTube to use your GoPro as a webcam.
GoPro webcam configuration settings
1. Use the USB 3.0 port to connect your Cam Link.
2. Create a connection between the GoPro and the micro HDMI cable. The Camlink dongle must be connected to the other end of the HDMI cable.
3. Turn on your GoPro.
4. Change your source to GoPro by opening the webcam software. It will display the details of the Cam Link dongle. For software like Skype or OBS, open settings and select the camera from the audio and video options.
5. You can configure your GoPro for streaming by opening the camera menu and selecting the HDMI output option in the input / output preferences. While streaming, your camera will broadcast the signals.