Einar Bessi Gestsson, a natural disaster expert at the Met Office, told mbl.is this morning that there has not been much change in the Meradalir eruption since last night, according to images from the webcam.
“Last night’s visibility was back and forth. Cameras show lava flowing into Meradalur,” he adds.
He says that when the weather permits, tests will be carried out at the site, both on the ground and from an aircraft. When exactly this will happen today is not yet certain.
Eins og flestum er eflaust kunnugt hófst eldgos á miðvikudaginn í vestanverðum Meradölum á Reykjanesskaga. Síðan þá hafa þúsundir heimsótt gosstöðvarnar en þar var lokað vegna veðurs í nótt.
No access to the eruption site today
Yesterday afternoon, scientists reviewed the situation and whether access to the eruption site will be open today, according to Bogi Adolfsson, the leader of the Þorbjörn rescue team in Grindavík. The weather is supposed to drop in the afternoon. Today, however, it was decided to maintain the ban on entering the site of the eruption due to the weather. It will be open tomorrow, Tuesday, at 10 a.m.
It seems Icelanders were more aware of the closure of the eruption site yesterday, as rescue teams had to stop a few tourists who wanted to see the site.
“They were obviously disappointed,” Adolfsson said of the tourists who wanted to enter yesterday. “They have a limited time unlike us who live here.”