All residents aged 18 and over can make appointments starting Monday, but people not in the highest priority groups will not be eligible for appointments until September 26.
Indigenous people and their household members age 18 and older, immunocompromised people age 12 and older, pregnant women and health care workers age 18 and older are eligible for vaccines starting Monday.
All callback appointments will also be suspended until September 26 for non-priority populations to accommodate distribution.
However, the province said people aged 18 and over can start booking dual-callback appointments from Monday for planning purposes, although it noted that appointments will be available in depending on the federal government’s offer.
Recall appointments booked between Sept. 12 and Sept. 25 that are on hold due to the change in the vaccine rollout plan will be honored, the province said, and the bivalent vaccine will be offered to those people instead.
The latest step in Ontario’s vaccine rollout comes after the province received its first shipment of vaccines last week.
People can get the bivalent booster if at least six months have passed since their last dose, regardless of how many injections they have already had.
In July, Ontario began offering the fourth COVID-19 vaccine to all adult residents.
Moore said at the time that people who received a fourth vaccine this summer could still receive the bivalent vaccine months later.
Health Canada approved Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine that targets both the original strain of the coronavirus and the Omicron variant earlier this month.
Other provinces have already begun their targeted fire deployments.
This report from The Canadian Press was first published on September 12, 2022.
The Canadian Press